Thursday, September 21, 2006

Across the Dune Sea

EXPERIMENT #190
"ACROSS THE DUNE SEA"


FILM

Star Wars (1995 "Faces" VHS).

ALBUM

Pinkerton, Weezer's sophomore effort. Disjointed, moody affair initially perceived as a dud that over time has become more emotionally revered by Generation Y than Pogs or "Duck Tales." I count myself on the sidelines for that particular parade; I've always preferred their 1994 debut, Weezer, to anything else in their catalog.

SYNCHS

- The Tantive IV is shown being sucked up into the open cavity of the Star Destroyer as the line "this is beginning to be serious" is heard in "Getchoo."

- Rebel soldiers are seen falling over, victims of Imperial gunfire, as the line "sometimes you fall and skin your knee" is heard in "Getchoo."

- The chorus of "Getchoo," ("getchoo, uh huh") coincides with numerous Stormtroopers shooting and killing Rebel soldiers.

- The phrase "hello, I'm here" in "El Scorcho" coincides with Princess Leia's hologram appearing.

- Obi-Wan appears as the line "holy moley, wouldn't you know it?" is heard in "Falling For You."

NOTES

I'm really glad I decided to do this album today. Not because of the synchs or because I enjoyed listening to it, but because of an unexpected discovery. When I opened the CD case up to put the disc in the CD player, sitting atop Pinkerton was my long-lost copy of "Weird Al" Yankovic's In 3-D. That made my millennium.

I don't know how it got there, and honestly, I don't really care to know. I'm sure it was my own stupidity and/or absent-mindedness. All I care about is the fact that my entire "Weird Al" collection has been restored, and next week I can carry out my "Five Days of Al" plan here on the GSWSP in honor of the Yank's latest album (Straight Outta Lynwood, droppin' Tuesday, 9/26).

"Weird Al" is God. If you do not accept this, you will go directly to Hell, where all the girls look like Norman Fell and the only thing to eat is unsalted, unbuttered popcorn. Sorry, dinkle-donk, but that's just the way it is!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home