Monday, January 30, 2006

Smells Like Droid Spirit

EXPERIMENT #21
"SMELLS LIKE DROID SPIRIT"


FILM

Star Wars (1995 "Faces" VHS).

ALBUM

Nevermind, the Nirvana album that dethroned Michael Jackson from the top of the charts in 1991 and changed the landscape of popular music for the next decade. Almost all twelve tracks were hit singles. Gratuitous baby penis on the front cover. As usual, I started this sucker right after the second drumroll in the 20th Century Fox fanfare.

SYNCHS

- The first "mellow" part of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" begins when the Star Wars logo pops up.

- Darth Vader makes his first appearance as Kurt Cobain begins to scream, "A denial!" in "Smells Like Teen Spirit."

- During one of the choruses in "In Bloom," as the phrase "don't know what it means" is sung, Vader looks at one Imperial officer as another is talking as if he don't know what the guy talking means.

- As the lyric "I don't mind if I don't have a mind" in "Breed" is heard as we see a shot of the Gonk droid, a robot so useless all it can do is say its own name.

- The camera is on Luke when the lyric "I'm so lonely" in "Lithium" is heard.

- Kurt Cobain sings the lines, "I'm so happy, 'cause today I found my friends" in "Lithium" as R2-D2 hobbles towards C-3PO and Luke after the droid auction.

- Luke, Uncle Owen, and Aunt Beru get together for a meal as Krist Noveselic sings the line, "everybody get together, try to love one another right now" before "Territorial Pissings."

- While Luke stares into the twin sunset after the argument with his uncle, Kurt sings the lines, "Gotta find a way, gotta find a way, a better way" in "Territorial Pissings."

- The line "it is now my duty to completely drain you" in "Drain You" coincides with the Tusken Raider attack on Luke.

- We hear the line "and I've got this friend, you see, who makes me feel" in "Lounge Act" as Obi-Wan is reviving Luke.

- The phrase "what should I do?" in "On A Plain" is heard as the camera is on Luke at the exact moment he considers going with Obi-Wan to Alderaan before blurting out, "Look, it's not that I like the Empire - I hate it! There's just nothing I can do about it right now."

- The Imperial officer aboard the Death Star who gets Force-choked by Vader begins to challenge the masked one's importance as we hear the line "love myself, better than you" in "On A Plain."

- "Something in the Way" begins right when the film cuts to the scene of the Jawa massacre by the Empire.

NOTES

Not too shabby.

I never realized before how much Kurt Cobain and Luke Skywalker had in common. Both came from broken homes, both possessed strange abilities that baffled and impressed others, and both had to deal with dark forces attempting to corrupt them. Oh yeah, they both also wore some pretty bitchin' outfits.

I wonder if Kurt Cobain liked Star Wars. Was it too mainstream for his tastes? Conversely, I wonder if Mark Hamill likes Nirvana. Actually, I wonder if these two ever crossed paths and discussed the similarities between their lives (well, the similarities between Kurt's real life and Mark's most famous fake life). Now that would have been a conversation to pay attention to.

You know, there are enough Nirvana CDs to do an entire Nirvana theme week. That may very well happen in the near future.

1 Comments:

Blogger Egbert Sousè said...

You know, there's like twelve minutes of dead air between the end of "Something in the Way" and the beginning of "Endless, Nameless", the secret song on Nevermind. You should see where that leaves you...

5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home