Monday, January 16, 2006

Sorry Ma, Forgot to Take Out the Droids

I just finished up Star Wars with the first Replacements album, Sorry Ma, Forgot to Take Out the Trash. Even though there wasn't much, I did see perhaps the freakiest thing I've seen since I started doing this synch stuff. It happened during "Hanging Downtown." If you've heard that song, you know there's one part where Paul Westerberg repeats the phrase "bus stop" a number of times. It almost sounds like the CD is skipping, but it's not. He goes, "bus stop! bus stop! bus stop! bus stop! Anyways, we got nowhere else ta go!"

Well, every single time Paul said, "bus stop," Darth Vader turned his head. Right after Vader throws that rebel he was choking to the ground, you hear the first "bus stop," and he looks to his left. The next "bus stop," he looks to his right. It goes on like this for all of the "bus stops" until Paul says, "Anyways, we got nowhere else ta go!" When he says this, Vader motions his stormtroopers to move and he walks out of frame. I seriously thought I was tripping when I saw all this. Who knows, maybe I was, but I don't remember ingesting any hallucinogens for breakfast this morning.

That freakiness aside, the rest of the synch was rather uneventful. Here are the few other moments of interest I noted (yes, I started the CD after the second 20th Century drumroll):

- The music to "Customer" begins at the exact same moment the door the stormtroopers come through on the Tantive IV catches fire/starts blowing up.

- The words "kick, kick" are heard right before Threepio kicks Artoo in the desert.

- In another head-turning incident, Luke turns his head to the direction Aunt Beru is calling from on the first drum hit in "I Hate Music."

- The weird tape effect that ends "I Hate Music" coincides with the Jawa zappping Artoo so he stays near the sandcrawler.

- The line "really lost my good thing now" is heard right before Luke discovers Artoo is missing.

I think I need to go take a cold shower. All I can see is Darth Vader turning his head. It's messing with my mind.

I'm taking a suggestion from Ross next - Slayer's South of Heaven. Not sure with what movie, though. Probably Star Wars, because I'm too lazy to eject the tape.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home