Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Tatooine Dream

EXPERIMENT #22
"TATOOINE DREAM"


FILM

Star Wars (1995 "Faces" VHS).

ALBUM

Siamese Dream by the Smashing Pumpkins. Feedback-drenched guitars create a soundscape perfect for Billy Corgan's nasal falsetto. As usual, I started this sucker right after the second drumroll in the 20th Century Fox fanfare.

SYNCHS

- The phrase "let me out" in "Cherub Rock" is heard as the droids make their way across the two warring factions aboard the Tantive IV.

- "Cherub Rock" ends the moment Princess Leia inserts the Death Star plans into R2-D2.

- The drumroll/guitar solo in "Quiet" coincides with the droids entering the escape pod and the escape pod taking off. The whine of the guitar right before the solo sounds as the pod shoots into space.

- The lyrics "quiet, I don't trust you" are heard as Darth Vader confronts Princess Leia about her "diplomatic mission."

- Luke gets up and leaves the dinner(?) table as we hear the lyric "leave you like they left me here" in "Disarm."

- Immediately after Luke's scuffle in the cantina, we hear the phrase "Spaceboy, they'll kill me" in "Spaceboy."

- As Han Solo is getting up from the table after killing Greedo, we hear the lyric "I feel no pain" in "Silverfuck."

- A weird spaceship-type noise is heard in "Silverfuck" as the Star Destroyer that is chasing the Millennium Falcon comes into view.

NOTES

Billy Corgan's worse than Steven Tyler. I had no idea what he was saying half the time, and I've been listening to this album for over a decade. In the middle of "Geek U.S.A.," it sounds like he says, "I connected Siamese twins, at their own risk." That would have been perfect, because at that moment, we saw Obi-Wan and Luke looking at each other right after watching Leia's hologram. Although Luke and Leia aren't Siamese, they are twins, and Obi-Wan did connect them at their own risk.

Sadly, the real lyric is "We are connected, Siamese twins, at the wrist." Or so the Internet tells me. It sure sounds the other way around to me. Leave it to Billy Corgan to add and subtract syllables as he pleases. Of course, the possibility exists that the lyric was transcribed wrong. I guess I'll have to ask my local Smashing Pumpkins historian.

Hey, I forgot about the ending of "Rocket." It actually sounds like a rocket taking off! That's neat! Too bad that didn't coincide with a shot of a spaceship. At that precise moment, the camera was on Luke and the droids, who were just standing around contemplating the ramifications of the Princess Leia hologram. Then Aunt Beru called Luke away, "Rocket" ended, and "Disarm" started as Threepio was scolding Artoo. Weak!

Come on, Lucas, what were you thinking? Didn't you know a psychedelic throwback band was going to record an album in 1993 featuring a fake rocket noise roughly thirty minutes in that I'd try to listen to while watching your movie? Get with the program thirty years ago!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home