Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Darth I'm Gonna Leave You

EXPERIMENT #37
"DARTH I'M GONNA LEAVE YOU"


FILM

Star Wars (1995 "Faces" VHS).

ALBUM

Disc One of the Led Zeppelin box set. Contains numerous cuts from Zep's first three albums, including "Whole Lotta Love," "Communication Breakdown," "Dazed and Confused," and "Ramble On." Supposedly guitarist Jimmy Page arranged all the tracks in this box set to tell the story of the band itself (or so the crazier die-hard Zepheads would have you believe). If that's true, Disc One covers the band's formation, initial friction, and sudden fame.

As usual, I started this disc right after the second drumroll in the 20th Century Fox fanfare.

SYNCHS

- The line "you've been learnin', baby, I been learnin'" in "Whole Lotta Love" is heard as the opening crawl scrolls by (in which we learn what the hell the movie is about).

- The escape pod carrying the droids is shown shooting through space as we hear the line "people talkin' all around 'bout the way you left me flat" in "Heartbreaker."

- "Communication Breakdown" starts the moment the droids decide to go separate ways on the surface of Tatooine.

- In "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You," there's a line where Robert Plant says, "it's callin' me...back." While we hear this line, Luke is walking away from the robot auction; he turns around, however, after he hears R5-D4 explode. The moment Luke turns around coincides with Plant saying, "back."

- Right before the fade from the robot auction to the interior of Luke's room, C-3PO is half turned around, waiting for R2-D2 to catch up to him. At this moment, the line "take my hand, child, come with me" is heard in "What Is And What Should Never Be." It looks like Threepio is saying this to Artoo.

- The line "I'm gonna put you down for a while" is heard "I Can't Quit You Babe" as the Tusken Raiders put Luke down on the ground so they can pillage his landspeeder.

- The line "take it easy, baby, let them say what they will" in "Dazed and Confused" is heard as Tarkin orders Darth Vader to release Admiral Motti from the Force choke (Motti had been mouthing off about Vader's failings in locating the stolen data tapes).

- "Your Time Is Gonna Come" starts at around the same moment Luke realizes the Empire murdered the Jawas because they were looking for Threepio and Artoo.

- The line "made up my mind" in "Your Time Is Gonna Come" is heard as Luke tells Obi-Wan he wants to go to Alderaan with him.

NOTES

I'm pretty sure this is the longest CD I've done so far. This sucker took me all the way past Luke and Han's argument about rescuing the Princess aboard the Death Star on the first playthrough. I think it said the length was seventy-seven minutes when I loaded the disc into my stereo, but that doesn't seem right. Could CDs hold more than seventy-five minutes of music in 1990? I didn't think they could.

Then again, this is Led Zeppelin we're talking about. I wouldn't be surprised to find out Jimmy Page employed the world's top scientific minds in the months leading up to this box set's release, forcing them to work around the clock until they could figure out a way to squeeze an extra three minutes onto the CD format specifically so he wouldn't have to scratch "Hey Hey What Can I Do" from the first disc. That would be so like him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home