Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Gonk Stink Breath

EXPERIMENT #28
"GONK STINK BREATH"


FILM

Star Wars (1995 "Faces" VHS).

ALBUM

Insomniac, Green Day's frantic follow-up to the multi-platinum Dookie. Features the hits "Geek Stink Breath" and "Brain Stew," as well as some tripped-out artwork by Winston Smith.

As usual, I started the album right after the second drumroll in the 20th Century Fox fanfare.

SYNCHS

- The phrase "time is running out" in "Brat" is heard as C-3PO and R2-D2 are trying to escape the Imperial invasion of the Tantive IV.

- The lyric "struck down, forcing me to fall" in "Stuck With Me" is heard as Darth Vader chokes the guy aboard the Tantive IV.

- As Artoo is hobbling towards the escape pod, the lyric "I'm on a mission, I made my decision" in "Geek Stink Breath" is heard.

- Billie Joe Armstrong sings, "To hell with unity" in "No Pride" as Artoo and Threepio go their separate ways on Tatooine.

- During the scene where you can see part of Kenny Baker's head inside the R2-D2 costume, the lyric "never show your head around here again" is heard in "86."

- The camera is on Threepio at the Jawa's auction when we hear the line "ready for a cheap escape" in "Panic Song."

- Luke pours himself some blue milk as Billie Joe says, "my mouth is dry" in "Brain Stew."

- Luke gets up from the table and walks out on his ersatz family as "Jaded" starts.

- The lyric "escape from discontent" in "Westbound Sign" is heard as Luke pilots his landspeeder across the Jundland Wastes.


NOTES

I was torn as what to title this experiment. Originally, I was going to call it "Brain Stew/Jawa," in reference to the fact that major rock radio stations sometimes play "Brain Stew" and "Jaded" together, as if they're one song. The fact that I used "Jawa" in yesterday's title deterred me, though, and I went with "Gonk Stink Breath." A nerdier reference, but I stand by it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home