Monday, February 06, 2006

Jawa Dookie

Before we get started here, I have to mention two things:

1. All the experiments this week will be with Star Wars. I forgot to mention that before.

2. I'm pushing Zeppelin back another week so I can do "Rap Attack" next week. I'm sorry, but I'm jonesin' to do some Snoop, some Biggie, and some Dre. I promise you, oh worshippers of the mighty Zepp, from 2/20/06 - 2/24/06, we will get the Led out. Scout's honor.

Now, on with the show.

EXPERIMENT #27
"JAWA DOOKIE"


FILM

Star Wars (1995 "Faces" VHS).

ALBUM

Dookie, the 1994 breakthrough album that made Green Day a household name. Introduced an entire generation to punk rock - including yours truly. Also introduced me to a bevvy of pot and masturbation references it would take years to comprehend.

As usual, I started the album right after the second drumroll in the 20th Century Fox fanfare.

SYNCHS

- We see a shot of the Rebel troops mobilizing aboard the Tantive IV when the lyric "soon you'll be dead anyway" in "Having A Blast" is heard.

- The camera is on the Rebel troops awaiting the Imperial invasion during the lines "no one is getting out alive" and "kiss your ass goodbye" in "Having A Blast."

- As Darth Vader is surveying the fallen Rebel troops aboard the Tantive IV, the words "to me it's nothing" are repeated in "Having A Blast."

- Vader is choking that Rebel dude aboard the Tantive IV as we hear the lyric "magic man, ego-centric plastic man" in "Chump."

- The Jawa who shoots R2-D2 pops up after the line "this sudden fear has left me trembling" in "Welcome to Paradise."

- One of the guitar squeals during the breakdown in "Welcome to Paradise" coincides with Artoo waking up aboard the sandcrawler.

- The lyric "sometimes my mind plays tricks on me" in "Basketcase" is heard as R5-D4's head blows up.

- Luke puts down his model T-16 Skyhopper and starts bitching about being stuck on Tatooine as we hear the lyric "I think I'm cracking up" in "Basketcase."

- As Luke is searching the horizen for Artoo, the lyric "you been searching for that someone" in "When I Come Around" is heard.

- The lyric "no time to search the world around" in "When I Come Around" is heard as Uncle Owen is looking around the homestead for Luke.

- As Obi-Wan is revealing who he is to Luke, the phrase "it's been so long" in "Emenius Sleepus" is heard.

- Luke picks up Threepio's loose arm after the Tusken Raider attack as we hear the line "did you lose it in a hateful fight?" in "Emenius Sleepus."

- The camera is on Obi-Wan in his home when we hear the line "how long will he last before he's a creep in the past?" in "In The End."

- Obi-Wan is lying to Luke about his father having been killed by Darth Vader when the lyric "I hope I won't be there in the end when if you come around" in "In The End," which I assume means he hopes he won't be around when Luke finds out Darth Vader IS his father.

- Right before Obi-Wan says to Luke, "You must learn the ways of the Force, if you are to come with me to Alderaan," Billie Joe Armstrong says, "my belly's aching now to say" in "F.O.D."

- The noodling at the beginning of the secret song starts right as Vader Force-chokes that guy on the Death Star. The actual song starts when the victim is released from the Force-choke.

NOTES

One of the greatest near-misses of all-time happened in this synch. The opening line of "Basketcase" ("do you have the time to listen to me whine?") almost coincided with Luke's infamous complaint about going to the Toschi Station to pick up some power converters. It was seriously just a few seconds off. Had I started Dookie after the entire 20th Century Fox fanfare, it may have synched.

There was another moment like this that was just a few seconds off, but I'll be damned if I can remember it.

You know, I'm pretty sure it's spelled "Toschi," but I did see a t-shirt the other day that spelled it "Tosche." Could have been a bootleg. Maybe both spellings are accepted. Maybe it's an alien language that no one's sure how to translate. Yet another mystery of the Star Wars universe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home