Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Filthy Vader Live

EXPERIMENT #58
"FILTHY VADER LIVE"


FILM

Star Wars (1995 "Faces" VHS).

ALBUM

Filthy Lucre Live, the 1996 concert album recorded by a reunited Sex Pistols in Finsbury Park, London. For years, Rotten and Co. swore up and down they'd never get back together. I guess someone reminded them there's no social security or 401k plan with punk rock. The old farts give an energetic performance on Filthy Lucre, and they don't sound half bad, either. Could have thrown a few more curveballs into their set, though. No "Roadrunner?" Denied!

As usual, I started the album right after the second drumroll in the 20th Century Fox fanfare.

SYNCHS

- The line "see my face, not a trace, no humanity" is heard in "Seventeen" as Darth Vader makes his first appearance.

- The line "you follow me around like a pretty pot of glue" is heard in "No Feelings" as we see a Jawa peeking at R2-D2 from behind a rock.

- Luke makes his first appearance as we hear the line "potential H-bomb" in "God Save the Queen."

- The line "now I wanna know" is heard in "Liar" as Luke questions C-3PO about the Rebellion.

- Luke comes to after the Tusken Raider attack and looks up at Obi-Wan as the line "I wanna see some history" is heard in "Holidays in the Sun."

- Johnny Rotten's labored exhale at the end of "Submission" coincides with a close-up of Darth Vader.

- The line "don't believe illusion" is heard in "Pretty Vacant" as Obi-Wan tells Luke that Tusken Raiders didn't really attack the Sandcrawler.

- The first verse of "Anarchy in the U.K." coincides with the cantina fracas. "I am an anti-christ, I am an anarchist" is heard as Dr. Evanzan brags to Luke about his death sentence; "don't know what I want but I know how to get it" is heard as Dr. E throws Luke to the ground; "I wanna destroy passerby" is heard as Obi-Wan slices the good doctor's arm off.

- "Problems" starts as Greedo confronts Han Solo.

- The first two lines in the last verse of "Problems" coincide with an interesting shot. "Bet you thought you had it all worked out" is heard as Luke and Obi-Wan are seen walking to Docking Bay 94; "bet you thought you knew what I was about" is heard as the camera focuses on the Imperial informant walking behind them.

NOTES

Another good one. I really got a kick out of that "Anarchy" bit in the cantina. Perfect timing on that one.

In reference to that last synch, I've always wondered if Luke and Obi were even remotely aware of the Imperial informant guy's presence. We'll call him Garindan, because that's his name. Did they see Garindan at any point in time, and if so, did they think he was slim shady or just another snoot in the crowd? Another Star Wars ponderable.

Speaking of ponderables, you know what I noticed while listening to Filthy Lucre this time? Glen Matlock didn't play that neat bass run he always used to play in the beginning of "No Feelings." If you've heard the pre-Bollocks demos, you know what I'm talking about. I wonder if he was just being lazy that night or if one of the other Pistols had a serious objection to it.

Glen, if you're reading this, that bass thing always kicked ass! Really made the song pop, mate! I hope you play it again sometime. Heck, I hope you're playing it right now! 'Cause I know that's what you do all day, sit around and fiddle with old bass lines.

Cheerio!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home