Wednesday, March 15, 2006

It's A Long Way Back (To Tatooine)

I hate to pre-empt the experiment, but I gotta respond to a question posed by my homey Tervin:

Will my wonderful new job conflict with the work I'm doing here on the Great Star Wars Synchronicity Project?

Why, of course it will, sillybuns, but that's not going to stop me from doing it. This foolishness doesn't take that big a chunk out of my day. It's not like I'm raising a kid over here or anything.

Just wanted to let everyone know, in case there were whispers of doubt. I plan on rockin' the GSWSP until I go deaf or until I physically cannot stand the sight of Mark Hamill anymore. It's like that, and that's the way it is.

Now, on with the show!

EXPERIMENT #54
"IT'S A LONG WAY BACK (TO TATOOINE)"


FILM

Star Wars (1995 "Faces" VHS).

ALBUM

Road to Ruin by the Ramones. A big turning point for da Bruddahs; they swap out drummer Tommy for Marky and end up with a slightly more traditional "rock" sound. Purists cried foul, and the public wasn't buying. Despite doing little for the band's career at the time (1978), Road to Ruin would eventually be recognized as a milestone not only for the Ramones but for all of rock n' roll.

How eventually? Oh, about ten years after the fact, when "I Wanna Be Sedated" was re-released to promote Ramonesmania. A weary American public finally woke up and started to appreciate the Kings of Queens, albeit not on the level of such "greats" as Poison and Whitesnake. God status would allude Joey and pals until well into the 21st Century, long after the band had broken up and a few of them had gone to that great slum in the sky.

But I digress. As usual, I started the record right after the second drumroll in the 20th Century Fox fanfare.

SYNCHS

- The line "I was getting older" is heard in "I Wanted Everything" as the camera focuses on an older Rebel soldier aboard the Tantive IV.

- The line "I don't care, I don't care" in "I Don't Want You" coincides with a shot of R2-D2 turning his dome away from C-3PO on the surface of Tatooine (during their argument about which way to go).

- We see a Jawa peeking out from under a rock as the line "I saw her face" in "Needles & Pins" is heard.

NOTES

Truly, this was the Road to Ruin! Come on! "I Wanted Everything," but this made me "Go Mental!" Yuk, yuk, yuk!

The ending refrain of "I don't want you" kept repeating as Threepio wandered through the desert bitching about how Artoo tricked him. That seemed like something at first, but then I thought about how that scene sort of proves that Threepio really does want Artoo. Kind of like an old lady who complains about how useless her ex-husband is/was, but is secretly mad at herself for letting him go and wishes desperately he'd return.

But hey, I could be wrong. Maybe Threepio really didn't want Artoo. I'm just layin' down my own personal interpretation, sucka. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go to work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home