Friday, March 24, 2006

No Feelings (For the Empire)

EXPERIMENT #60
"NO FEELINGS (FOR THE EMPIRE)"


FILM

Star Wars (1995 "Faces" VHS).

ALBUM

Live in Trondheim, one of the thousands of Sex Pistols bootlegs currently clogging the compact disc market. Supposedly a recording of the band playing in Trondheim, Norway, on July 21, 1977, although I do remember reading once somewhere that this is actually a different performance from that Scandanavian tour. This theory is supported by the fact that, during a short break due to a technical mishap, Johnny Rotten asks a stagehand to "tell 'em in Swedish" (referring to the crowd). Surely John was aware of what country he was in, wasn't he? Maybe he wasn't aware at the time that Norwegians have their own language.

Where ever the gig on this disc took place, the band is in top form. Sid had just joined up on bass, and although many people like to discredit his contributions, it's obvious that the new blood envigorated the other three and pushed them toward the sound they achieved on Never Mind the Bollocks. You can really hear it on this one; unfortunately, the quality of the recording is a bit dodgy, and there are two distinctly annoying edits (part of "No Feelings" is cut out and the end of "God Save the Queen" is missing, replaced with the sound of a car crash).

That kind of stuff is par for the course with bootlegs, though. As I said before, I think this Trondheim disc is one of the best I've heard. The performance is tits, there's no fake crowd noise, it's actually the Pistols and not some Italian cover band, and the artwork that accompanies the CD wasn't hand drawn or printed on a Commodore 64. I give it an A-. If you like the Pistols and can find this cheap, buy it.

Wow, that was long. Moving on...I started the album right after the second drumroll in the 20th Century Fox fanfare, like I usually do.

SYNCHS

- In "I Wanna Be Me," the line "ready to kill" is heard as we see Darth Vader choking the Rebel.

- The line "black and white" in "I Wanna Be Me" is heard as we see a shot of Darth Vader and a few stormtroopers.

- "No Fun" plays during Luke's Toschi station rant and his subsequent "Biggs is right, I'm never gonna get out of here!" scene.

- "Problems" starts as Luke and his relatives congregate for the dinner scene.

NOTES

Not much, but that's okay. The CD was only twenty-nine minutes long. That could be the shortest one I've tried so far. I'm surprised I got anything, really. It's a Sex Pistols bootleg, for the love of criminy.

I'd love to expound on this more, but I've got to get to thinkin' about next week. Still don't know what I'm gonna do! Could take me the rest of the day to figure out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home