Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Bantha O'Riley

EXPERIMENT #78
"BANTHA O'RILEY"


FILM

Star Wars (1995 "Faces" VHS).

ALBUM

Who's Next by the Who. 1971 masterpiece often noted for its synthesizer work, some of the earliest of its kind. Contains uber-hits such as "Baba O'Riley," "Behind Blue Eyes," and "Won't Get Fooled Again." If you aren't familiar with any of these three songs, you must be a newborn. The cover of this record is just as renowned as the music; it depicts the band after having just urinated on a giant slab of stone.

SYNCHS

- The explosion that rocks the Tantive IV coincides with the drum hits that occur right after Pete Townshend's interlude in "Baba O'Riley" (the part where he sings, "It's only teenage wasteland").

- The first two or three drum hits after Roger Daltrey screams, "They're all wasted!" in "Baba O'Riley" synch up with the edits between the Rebel soldiers in the Tantive IV corridor and the door the stormtroopers bust through.

- The line "I'd gladly lose me to find you" is heard in "Bargain" as we see the stormtroopers searching for Princess Leia on the Tantive IV.

- The line "I'm looking for that free ride" is heard in "Bargain" as the escape pod carrying the droids floats down to Tatooine.

- We see R2-D2 being carried away by the Jawas as the line "my life's in jeopardy" is heard in "My Wife."

- The line "keep me moving" in "Going Mobile" coincides with the Tusken Raiders running away from Obi-Wan.

- Obi-Wan is telling Luke how his father died as the line "tell me some bad news" is heard in "Behind Blue Eyes."

- Obi-Wan is trying to convince Luke to come with him to Tatooine as the line "the men who spurred us on" is heard in "Won't Get Fooled Again."

- Moff Tarkin walks into the Death Star conference room and starts talking about the dissolve of the Imperial Senate as we hear the line "a change, it had to come" in "Won't Get Fooled Again."

NOTES

Interesting stuff. I think the "tell me some bad news" bit was my favorite part.

You know, dear readers, some people interpret the cover of Who's Next as the Who showing their disdain for 2001: A Space Odyssey, because that slab looks like the slab the apes in that movie freak out over. Are the Who not down with sci-fi? Are they not down with Kubrick? Are they creationists? Does Pete Townshend have a Jesus fish on his car? I don't know, I've never passed him on the highway.

One thing I know the Who are all about: "CSI." Three "CSI" programs, three theme songs provided by the Who (two of which are from this album). Even though Who songs have been all over car ads and junk like that, I don't think they've ever been T.V. show theme songs before. I could be wrong. If I'm not...well, people have probably asked before to use Who songs as themes, right? So why do you think the band agreed to let "CSI" use a few?

Hey Who, why let "CSI" use a few?
you could just as easily boog-a-loo
down to the welfare office and form a que
for old fogey rock stars who can't get off the loo

That was my impromptu poetry slam about the Who/"CSI" situation. Hope you liked it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home