Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Good Day Sand People

EXPERIMENT #68
"GOOD DAY SAND PEOPLE"


FILM

Star Wars (1995 "Faces" VHS).

ALBUM

Revolver, an album by the Beatles that has nothing to do with firearms. Supposedly the first record to feature backwards masking and automated double tracking. Definitely the first record to feature someone named Ringo singing about a submarine. Again, I'm working with the U.K. version here, so adjust your secret decoder rings accordingly.

As usual, I started the album right after the second drumroll in the 20th Century Fox fanfare.

SYNCHS

- The chorus of "Eleanor Rigby" starts out with Paul McCartney saying, "ah." One of these noises coincides with the mouth movements of a dying Rebel soldier aboard the Tantive IV.

- The line "please don't spoil my day" is heard in "I'm Only Sleeping" as we see Darth Vader choking the Rebel soldier (I imagine that guy was thinking something along those lines as Vader had his giant gloved hand around his neck).

- The line "wave of her hand" in "Here, There, and Everywhere" coincides with a shot of C-3PO waving his hands at the sandcrawler.

- The line "she doesn't know he's there" in "Here, There, and Everywhere" coincides with a shot of a Jawa spying on R2-D2.

- "Yellow Submarine" plays through the scenes where we see all the different robots inside the sandcrawler, and at one point we hear the lyric "and our friends are all aboard."

- The line "you're making me feel like I've never been born" in "She Said She Said" is heard as Artoo watches Threepio leave the Jawa auction without him.

- "Good Day Sunshine" starts Artoo starts wobbling his way over to Threepio and Luke after R5-D4 explodes.

- "Got to Get You Into My Life" starts as Obi-Wan comes across Luke in the Jundland Wastes.

NOTES

Some interesting things, but not enough to warrant writing Sir Paul. Speaking of which, did I ever tell you about my friend in high school who wrote a letter to Paul McCartney to try and convince him to open a rock n' roll fantasy camp? If I were smart, I would have stolen that letter before he sent it and photocopied it for posterity. It was just classic.

"Dear Mr. McCartney, you are a musical genius. I think you should open a rock n' roll fantasy camp so we can all learn the secrets to writing great songs. Here's fifteen zillion reasons why..."

I only wrote and mailed a couple fan letters in my life. One was to Jose Canseco, but it was returned because he had moved (or at least the office that accepted his fan mail had moved). I don't even remember what I wrote in that one. I think I was just hoping to get some little glossy postcards of the Can Man like the ones the New York Mets had sent me of Kevin Elster and Mackey Sasser.

The other fan letter I remember is one I wrote to "Weird Al." Unfortunately, his "Close, Personal Friends of Al" club was defunct at that time, so I never got a reply. Strangely, I was okay with this. At the time, I didn't feel "Weird Al" or musicians in general had a responsibility to please their fans like baseball players did. Nowadays, it's the exact opposite - it blows my mind when a famous music person shits on their fans, whereas I kind of expect ball players to be total jerks.

That reminds me...I wrote about ten separate letters to Nintendo Power when I was a kid, and although they never printed any of them, they always sent me a personal response. No form letter action from those guys/gals. That was really cool, I thought. Rats off to ya, Nintendo Power!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home