Thursday, April 13, 2006

Jacob's Lightsaber

EXPERIMENT #74
"JACOB'S LIGHTSABER"


FILM

Star Wars (1995 "Faces" VHS).

ALBUM

Permanent Waves, the Rush album that gave the world such classics as "The Spirit of Radio" and "Freewill." Features some girl on the cover whose face looks like a skull if you just glance at it. Was that intentional? I don't know. I e-mailed Alex Lifeson about it, but he was too busy getting tasered to answer me.

As usual, I started the album right after the second drumroll in the 20th Century Fox fanfare.

SYNCHS

- The door blasts open on the Tantive IV at the same exact moment that ridiculous scale starts in "The Spirit of Radio" (you know the part that goes, "do do do do do, do do do do do do do, DO DO DO, DA DO DO DO...").

- The lines "I will choose a path that's clear, I will choose freewill" are heard in "Freewill" as C-3PO is seen walking away from R2-D2 on Tatooine.

- The line "The clouds are parting" in "Jacob's Ladder" is heard as Threepio spots Artoo inside the sandcrawler.

- The lyric "different eyes see different things, different hearts beat on different strings" is heard in "Different Strings" during the argument Luke has with his Uncle Owen about staying on the farm another season.

- Luke and Threepio look around the Jundland Wastes as the arpeggio in "Natural Science" starts, as if they can hear it.

NOTES

This one made Super Bowl I look like Super Bowl III. Am I right? Okay, the "Different Strings" part with Luke and Uncle Owen was something else, but the rest? Why, it made New Coke look like Crystal Pepsi! I'd go so far as to say this experiment made Joey Gladstone look like Jesse Katsopolis! I'm sorry if that's going too far, but it's just how I feel. You know I refuse to censor myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home