Monday, April 10, 2006

Rivendarth

EXPERIMENT #71
"RIVENDARTH"


FILM

Star Wars (1995 "Faces" VHS).

ALBUM

Fly By Night, Rush's second album and their first featuring drum wizard Neil Peart. The addition of Peart reshaped the sound of the band, taking them from bluesy coked-out bar rock to progressive elf-themed garage rock. Surprisingly, this new formula brought the Canuck rockers a great deal of success. I can't understand it and I probably never will, so I just sit back and accept it.

As usual, I started this sucker right after the second drumroll in the 20th Century Fox fanfare.

SYNCHS

- The line "don't give me speeches" is heard in "Best I Can" as we see Darth Vader choking the Rebel soldier (who is attempting to give Vader a speech about the Tantive IV's alleged mission).

- As we see the escape pod rocketing towards Tatooine across a starfield, the line "sights on the stars" is heard in "Best I Can."

- "By-Tor & the Snow Dog" is playing when we see Gonk aboard the sandcrawler; the "growls" of the Snow Dog sound very similiar to the "gonk" noises Gonk makes during that scene.

- The line "you feel the coming of a new day" in "Rivendell" coincides with the first appearance of Obi-Wan Kenobi.

NOTES

The experiment I give a three. The album, an eight. I was truly surprised at how much of it I enjoyed. Maybe Rush isn't so bad after all. At least Fly By Night, anyway. I might go out and buy this one, if I can get over my fear of owning an album with a white owl on the cover.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home