Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Against the Gonk

EXPERIMENT #94
"AGAINST THE GONK"


FILM

Star Wars (1995 "Faces" VHS).

ALBUM

All Ages by Bad Religion, a compilation of songs released in 1995. Don't know if it qualifies as a "best of" package, but it does contain many a fine BR tune. "I Want to Conquer the World," "Modern Man," "No Control," and "Fuck Armageddon...This is Hell," to name a few. The copy I currently have in my possession was borrowed from a friend who borrowed it from a friend who never asked for it back. I hope it's not cursed.

SYNCHS

- The line "and I make a difference too" in "You Are (the Government)" coincides with Darth Vader's entrance.

- The line "I don't believe you have the answer" in "The Answer" is heard as C-3PO walks away from R2-D2 in the Tatooine desert (because he doesn't agree with R2's navigational instincts).

- C-3PO is seen wandering the desert, looking for help, as the line "searching for a modern day survivor" is heard in "The Answer."

- The line "Anna!" in "Anesthesia" coincides with the first appearance of Princess Leia's hologram; moments later, the line "Mona Lisa" coincides with a closer shot of the hologram.

- The line "looks as though faith alone won't sustain us anymore" in "Faith Alone" is heard as Luke is staring into the Tatooine sunset, wondering how he'll get through another season on the farm.

- The line "I don't believe in self-important folks who preach" in "No Direction" coincides with Vader's decision to Force-choke Admiral Motti for his smart-ass remarks.

NOTES

Meh.

You know, I saw Bad Religion once. Warped Tour '98. I don't remember much about their set aside from the following facts: they played late in the afternoon, Greg Graffin was wearing a blue shirt, and a mosh pit the size of Montana broke out when they played "Do What You Want."

It was the largest mosh I ever bore witness to, by gum. Trees were uprooted, houses were leveled, and the raging torrent of limbs and sneakers carried one pour soul all the way to Topeka. We learned a sobering lesson that day, my friends. When you go to a corporate sponsored festival tour, you put your life in other people's hands (and most of those people are shirtless and drunk).

Thankfully, my party and I escaped that day with nothing more than bad sunburns and a severe distaste for the band Civ. We also got out of the parking lot in under two hours. Someone must have been watching over us.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was at that same Warped Tour


Yours Truely

Shane

8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home