Friday, May 12, 2006

Boot Stamping On A Rebel Face Forever

EXPERIMENT #96
"BOOT STAMPING ON A REBEL FACE FOREVER"


FILM

The Empire Strikes Back (1995 "Faces" VHS).

ALBUM

The Empire Strikes First, Bad Religion's most recent studio album. Contains "Los Angeles is Burning," "Sinister Rouge," and lots of anti-Bush rhetoric. That's cool with me. I ain't exactly down with King W myself these days.

SYNCHS

- The first guitar chord in "Overture" coincides with the appearance of the Star Wars logo.

- The solo in "Sinister Rouge" coincides with the descent of the probe droid to Hoth; its harsh landing occurs the same time the song switches tempos back for the last verse.

- The line "tell me, where is the love?" in "God's Love" is heard as Princess Leia kisses Luke in front of Han Solo.

- The line "the search is bound to fail" in "To Another Abyss" coincides with Admiral Ozzle trying to convince Darth Vader not to waste any time looking around the Hoth system for the Rebels.

- The line "we strike first and we're unrehearsed" in "The Empire Strikes First" is heard right after the Rebels fire the cannon at the Star Destroyer and cripple it, as all the pilots are racing toward their ships.

- The phrase "drop dead" is heard in "Boot Stamping On A Human Face Forever" right before we see the AT-AT Luke bombed fall over and hit the ground.

- The lines "look at the trouble we're in, we can't win" are heard in "Boot Stamping On A Human Face Forever" as Han, Leia, and Threepio are running through the Rebel base on Hoth during the Imperial attack; the next line, "we're stuck here together," is heard as part of the base caves in and momentarily prevents them all from escaping.

NOTES

Okay, maybe I jumped the gun yesterday. Maybe there is no Bad Religion/Star Wars conspiracy at hand. Maybe, as my friend Nathan suggested a long time ago, this is all coincidental. There is no cosmic force aligning certain records with certain movies, probably. Everything in the world synchs up in one way or another with everything else, albeit with varying degrees of success, and I've been a fool to believe otherwise.

Oh well. I'm not going to let a little thing like common sense stop me from doing this project - at least not until I find an album that produces at least sixty distinct moments of synchronicity. I'm also not going to let it stop me from completely freaking out when I do find that particular album. Rest assured, I will be looking to everything from lunar cycles to ancient Sumerian birthing rituals for explanation.

You have to admit, though, a couple of the things in today's experiment were pretty cool. The lines in "Boot Stamping On A Human Face Forever" with Han and Leia in the Hoth base? Come on, that was just neat. Flat-out neat. No? Ah, go back to your World of Warcraft.

Last night I had a dream that I met Greg Graffin at Taco Bell. He walked in, sat down at the table next to me, and started listening to the brand new Vandals album. It was all hardcore rap. We struck up a conversation about the group's new direction; he was really into it. We walked outside, and Greg hopped in the back of a pickup truck that soon sped off. He gave me some really goofy advice right before the truck took off. I wish I could remember what it was.

Clearly (there's a word I need to ban from my vocabulary for overusage), Bad Religion has infected my brain. It's going to be a while before I dip back into their catalog.

Oh, P.S., by the way, I've been reading a few BR message threads regarding this blog, and I have to say thanks to everyone who had kind things to say. Aw heck, even you naysayers deserve thanks, 'cause you kept the babble going. Appreciated!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home