Monday, May 01, 2006

Forward to Darth

EXPERIMENT #87
"FORWARD TO DARTH"


FILM

Star Wars (1995 "Faces" VHS).

ALBUM

Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables, the 1980 debut from Dead Kennedys. A lethal mixture of surf, jazz, and punk, capped off by frontman Jello Biafra's acerbic lyrics and Jolson-on-crack delivery. A bit dated, but one could level that accusation at every DK album. It still managed to blow my mind the first time I heard it, which was long after Jerry Brown and the neutron bomb had faded from public consciousness.

SYNCHS

- "Kill the Poor" plays as the star destroyer attacks the Tantive IV; one of the many "kills" coincides with the large explosion that rocks the Tantive IV.

- "Forward to Death" begins as Threepio and the Rebels hear the strange noises outside their ship, which are the signals of Imperial capture (and, for most of the Rebels, certain death).

- "Let's Lynch the Landlord" begins as Darth Vader really lays into his choking victim, crushing his neck and tossing him aside.

- The gasp towards the end of "Ill in the Head" coincides with Luke's sigh as he stares at the sunset on Tatooine.

- The phrase "one arm bandit" is heard in "Viva Las Vegas" as we see Luke pick up Threepio's arm in the Jundland Wastes.

NOTES

This was one of those experiments where I saw a lot of stuff and I said to myself, "Does that mean anything?" Nine times out of ten when that happens, the answer is no. This stuff really has to be instantaneous. If the connection doesn't whack you right in the head, then forget it. That's my rule of thumb. Unless, of course, your brain is totally fried from working all day and you momentarily forget that Owen is Luke's Uncle or that the big hairy thing onscreen is named Chewbacca.

1 Comments:

Blogger Todd M. Stephanuik said...

This is easily one of the greatest things I have found on the internet that doesn't involve ninja in a long time! God bless you for doing this, and I wish I could be right beside you! I am really looking forward to the week of Dead Kennedys music, as I am a huge DK fan! I absolutely love seeing two of my favorite things, music and Star Wars, come together like this! Thank you and keep up the great work, I look forward to reading many more!

8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home