Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Lust for Lightsabers

EXPERIMENT #103
"LUST FOR LIGHTSABERS"


FILM

Star Wars (1995 "Faces" VHS).

ALBUM

Lust for Life by Iggy Pop. Released in September of '77. Perhaps you've heard the title track? It's only been in every commercial ever made since 1996. Thanks, Trainspotting. Other songs include "The Passenger" and that one where Iggy talks to Jesus about the hot black girl. David Bowie plays piano and provides backup vocals, for better or for worse. Me, I'm not a fan of his constipated la la la-ing.

SYNCHS

- Many parts of "The Passenger" coincide with R2-D2's capture by the Jawas: the song begins right after the film cuts to R2 rolling through the canyon; the lyrics "and I ride and I ride, through the city's backside" are heard as we briefly see R2 rolling along from the Jawa's perspective behind the rocks; the line "I am the passenger" is heard right before R2 is sucked up into the sandcrawler (and the moment he is sucked up, a cymbal crash sounds); more "and I ride and I rides" are heard as R2 is aboard the sandcrawler (which, technically, he is riding in).

- The line "then we put out the lights on them" in "Turn Blue" coincides with the Tusken Raider standing over Luke, who is raising his stick and is about to "put the lights out" on Luke.

- The line "you look so good to me" in "Fall in Love with Me" coincides with a shot of Princess Leia's hologram.

NOTES

Nifty stuff with "The Passenger." I'm 99% sure that's my favorite Iggy Pop song ever. "Search & Destroy" is a close second, but I think that's more of a Stooges song. You know, I should really do an Iggy/Stooges week. Consider that on the schedule for the near future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home