Thursday, May 25, 2006

Songs in the Key of Lightsaber

EXPERIMENT #105
"SONGS IN THE KEY OF LIGHTSABER"


FILM

Star Wars (1995 "Faces" VHS).

ALBUM

Disc One of the Songs in the Key of Life album by Stevie Wonder. Contains "Sir Duke," the tune that was number one on the Billboard Hot 100 chart May 25, 1977, the day Star Wars came out. It's a tasty little jazz-funk number saluting some of Mr. Wonder's musical heroes (including Duke Ellington, the song's namesake). This disc also includes such memorable tracks as "Village Ghetto Land" and "Pastime Paradise," both of which were later reworked into rap songs.

That sounds so lame, doesn't it? Rap songs? I should say "blazin' hip-hop joints" or "phat urban jamz." Yeah, that would give me street cred.

SYNCHS

- The line "what I'm about to say could mean the world's disaster" in "Love's in Need of Love Today" is heard as the opening crawl starts.

- Stevie's impassioned "no no no-ing" in the middle of "Love's in Need of Love Today" coincides with the Rebel being choked by Darth Vader.

- Stevie's "no no nos" continue as we see the stormtroopers looking for Princess Leia; when the camera cuts to the Princess, Stevie says, "yeah yeah yeah." Cut back to the stormtroopers, it's "no no no" again.

- The phrase "don't delay" in "Love's in Need of Love Today" coincides with the explosion that convinces C-3PO to get into the escape pod.

NOTES

Not a lotta synchs from the Steve-man. The Stevenator, lettin' me down. Das Stevehaus Wunderbar, closed for business.

Steve.

Alright, whatever street cred I had going at the start of this entry was just washed away by my "SNL" copy guy impression. I can't believe I did that. What was I thinking? I gotta get it together, man. Next thing you know, I'll be doing "Coffee Talk" impressions.

Early nineties "SNL," release me from your evil spell! The catchphrases and punchlines rattle my soul! I curse you, Lorne Michaels, I curse you!

By the way, FYI, the "no no no" thing was genug. I got a little verklempt.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home