Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Welcome Back, Kenobi

EXPERIMENT #109
"WELCOME BACK, KENOBI"


FILM

Star Wars (1995 "Faces" VHS).

ALBUM

Show & Tell: a Stormy Remembrance of TV Themes. Thirty-some odd punk bands covering their favorite TV themes. Murphy's Law, No Use For a Name, Furious George, H2O, yadda yadda yadda. The real selling point of this comp is the tuneless but spirited rendition of "Diff'rent Strokes" performed by Mr. Todd Bridges (backed by the Whatchu Talkin' Bout Willis Experience). That's the reason I bought it way back in 1997. Nowadays I listen to it and wonder what became of lesser-known bands such as Butt Trumpet and Clowns for Progress. Broken up? Dead? I'm sure the Internet knows. I'll ask it later.

SYNCHS

- The line "she's a double dealin' diva with a taste for thievery" in "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?" coincides with a shot of Princess Leia aboard the Tantive IV (remember, she stole the Death Star plans).

- The line "if he catches you, you're through" in "Roadrunner" coincides with a shot R2-D2 entering the escape pod (R2 is harboring the stolen Death Star plans, and if Vader or a stormtrooper catches him, he obviously would be through).

- Darth Vader starts pointing his finger at Princess Leia as the line "wanna poke your eyes out" is heard in "I'll Be There For You" (the "Friends" theme).

- Whispers of "fuck the police" are heard in "Cops" as we see the stormtroopers searching the Tatooine desert.

- When the line "love is all around" is heard in the "Mary Tyler Moore" theme, Luke C-3PO look around the Jundland Wastes (as if they're trying to see the love all around them).

- The weird noise at the end of "Bewitched" coincides with the torture droid advancing towards Princess Leia.

- The line "guys like us, we had it made" in "Those Were the Days" is heard as Obi-Wan Jedi mind-tricks the Mos Eisley stormtroopers (ensuring that he and Luke "have it made").

- The line "Javier and his knife" in "Gilligan's Island" coincides with a shot of Obi-Wan wielding his lightsaber.

- The droids are seen as the line "just the good ol' boys, never meanin' no harm" is heard in "The Dukes of Hazzard" theme.

NOTES

HAAAAAY, they don't say "wanna poke your eyes out" in the "Friends" theme! They don't say "Javier and his knife" in "Gilligan's Island!" What the who-what-who?!

That was my Chris Kattan impression.

Yeah, so, punk bands change lyrics around sometimes, ya know? Happens a lot on Show & Tell. I used to think that kind of thing was really funny. I also used to think Moby wasn't that bad.

I apologize if my tone is surly. I'm tired. Maybe I'll feel better if I get started on the mountain of work that's sitting to my immediate left. Yeah, that should do the trick.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home