Friday, June 30, 2006

Am I Vader

EXPERIMENT #131
"AM I VADER"


FILM

Star Wars (1995 "Faces" VHS).

ALBUM

The hard-rockin' 1988 self-titled debut from Danzig, the band Glenny D formed after Samhain. Well, he didn't really form a new band so much as add two new guys to the old band and rename it. In essence, Danzig is just a continuation of Samhain. Danzig the band, that is, not Danzig the person. Danzig the person is, in essence, just a continuation of Glenn Anzalone, some goombah from New Jersey.

SYNCHS

- The line "whoa, God above" in "Twist of Cain" is heard as the star destroyer is seen maneuvering above the Tantive IV.

- The line "not of this world, and nothing bites like I do" in "Not of This World" coincides with Darth Vader's first appearance.

- C-3PO is arguing about getting into the escape pod with R2-D2 as the line "choose where you stand" is heard in "Not of This World."

- The word "sand" is heard in "She Rides" as the camera pans across the sand dunes of Tatooine.

- The line "she'll take you" in "She Rides" is heard as C-3PO spots the sandcrawler, which takes him out of the harsh Tatooine desert.

- The second-to-last chord of "Am I Demon" coincides with Luke popping the restraining bolt off of R2-D2.

- As Luke is talking about the possibility of the droids being stolen and the mysterious "Obi-Wan" Kenobi, Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru exchange knowing glances; during this scene, the line "can you keep 'em in the dark for long?" is heard in "Mother."

- As Owen protests Luke's desire to enter the Academy before the next harvest, the line "do you wanna bang heads with me?" is heard in "Mother."

- The Tusken Raider that attacks Luke pops up during the quick drum roll that brings "Possession" to a brief pause; the Tusken Raider jabs Luke with his gaffi stick at the same moment the song starts again.

- Luke wakes up after the Tusken Raider attack as "Possession" is fades out.

- "Evil Thing" starts the moment Admiral Motti says, "This station is now the ultimate power in the universe...I suggest we use it."

NOTES

Short but sweet. I knew that "do you wanna bang heads with me?" line in "Mother" was going to happen sometime during the Owen/Luke argument. How, you ask? Come on, bro. I've watched this movie five days a week for the past six months. I've got a pretty good idea of its pacing by now. If I'm using an album I'm familiar with, I can usually ballpark one or two synchs with a fair amount of accuracy.

Shane suggested I use that angle on here more often, posting my predictions beforehand and seeing how close I come. His track record speaks for itself (theme week, soundtracks), so maybe I will start doing that. Bales, you're getting a big thank you in the book.

Hey, I don't know if you folks noticed, but I added a new section to each experiment. "Related," featuring links to related experiments, will now always be right below the "Notes" section. I started this because I noticed a lot of people are surfing in to random experiments via Google. This new "Related" deal makes it a tad bit easier for those people to find the rest of the experiments I did the week of the one they happen upon. I will be going back this weekend and adding it to all the old experiments, so hooray for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home