Saturday, June 03, 2006

Super Sounds of 1980

Here are the albums I'm gonna be spinning with The Empire Strikes Back for "Super Sounds of 1980" next week:

6/05: Ramones - End of the Century
6/06: Devo - Freedom of Choice
6/07: AC/DC - Back in Black
6/08: Motorhead - Ace of Spades
6/09: Blondie - Greatest Hits

Why a Blondie greatest hits CD? Well, it's like this: "Call Me," the song that was number one the day Empire came out, never appeared on any of Blondie's studio albums. It was written and recorded for the American Gigolo soundtrack. Since then, the only place the song has appeared is on greatest hits and best of collections. I figured it would be slightly more interesting to use one of those greatest hits/best ofs as opposed to the Gigolo soundtrack. Most of the latter is dippy instrumental keyboard stuff.

As for End of the Century, well, look, I know it came out in February of 1980, a good four months before Empire was released. That totally goes against my self-imposed "Super Sounds" rule of only using records that came out between May and December of the year in question. Truth be told, the Ramones are just substituting for Queen, whose The Game album I could not get my hands on in time for next week. Sure, I could have bought it, but then I would have been violating a slightly more important self-imposed rule: do not spend more than $100 on CDs a month.

Don't freak; Queen will get their week. Let me add them to the loose list in my head of stuff I wanna do:

Rap Attack Episode II
Super Sounds of '83
Super Sounds of the Special Editions
Iggy and the Stooges
Queen
Hair Metal Week
Gluecifer
Albums Featuring Songs About Star Wars

By the way, I am totally open to suggestion for upcoming themes. What do you people want me to try? Let me know, and I'll do my best to get it together!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home