Friday, July 28, 2006

Death Star Trip

EXPERIMENT #152
"DEATH STAR TRIP"


FILM

Star Wars (1995 "Faces" VHS).

ALBUM

Raw Power by the Stooges, without a doubt one of the loudest albums ever made (if not the loudest). It's been cold-cocking serious rock dudes everywhere since '73 with stompers like "Your Pretty Face is Going to Hell" and the transcendent "Search and Destroy." Not a good record to put on if you want to just sit back and get your weed on, which is why a lot of hardcore Stooge fans don't like it. Most people dig Raw Power, though, because...well, jeez, it's Iggy Pop. How can you hate on the Igster?

SYNCHS

- The hard guitar strum that starts out the final chorus of "Search and Destroy" coincides with the explosion that rocks the Tantive IV.

- "Gimme Danger" starts right before the Imperials invade the Tantive IV.

- Darth Vader is looking at the dead Rebel soldiers near his feet right after he boards the Tantive IV as the line "there's nothing left alive" is heard in "Gimme Danger."

- Princess Leia is seen being taken to Vader as the line "pretty face and a dirty look" is heard in "Your Pretty Face is Going to Hell."

- As C-3PO is waving to get the sandcrawler's attention, Iggy Pop is screaming, "Hey hey hey!" in "Your Pretty Face is Going to Hell" (it looks like 3PO is screaming this as well to flag down the sandcrawler).

- The line "come and take me" is heard in "Penetration" as the tube that sucks R2-D2 into the sandcrawler is seen coming down.

- The line "everybody always tryin', always tryin' tell me what to do" in "Raw Power" coincides with the first appearance of Luke, which is interrupted by his Aunt Beru calling him.

- "Everybody always tryin', always tryin' tell me what to do" is heard again as we see Luke's angry expression after his uncle orders him to take the droids in and get them cleaned up.

- Princess Leia's hologram is seen saying, "Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope" as the line "I need somebody" is heard in "I Need Somebody."

- The phrase "history" is heard in "Death Trip" as Luke asks Obi-Wan how his father died.

NOTES

Did I ever tell you about the time my friends and I almost went to Iggy Pop's house? When I say that, I mean we almost decided to drive to Miami to try and find Iggy Pop's house. It was Halloween 2001, I think. We were so close to jumping in the car and going. Do you know what we ended up doing? Watching Ace Venture: When Nature Calls and going to the mall for half an hour. Weakest 10/31 ever.

We did see Iggy Pop once, my friends and I, in concert. I think it was that same year. Yeah, it had to be. He came bouncing out looking like the last Civil War refugee, but I'll be damned if he didn't put on an amazing rock show. Some kid jumped from the second story balcony in the venue and landed on the stage; security was about to beat his ass when Iggy said, "Naw, wait! Let's see what this kid can do!" The kid kinda hobbled around for a minute and then limped offstage. That was wild, man. Wild and wonderful.

Yeah, that was definitely 2001. I was still in college, working two or three jobs inbetween classes just so I could afford to do stuff every once in while like go see Iggy Pop and take my girlfriend to the movies. That reminds me: I don't think we ever saw a movie I wanted to see when I dated that particular girl. It was always her choice. Fuckin' Girl, Interrupted an' shit. Come on already! I can't take it already!

Girl, Interrupted. Also known as Two Hours of Torture for JG2. If I hadn't snuck that meatball sub in with me, I would have died. No doubt, son.

Yes, I still cling to urban lingo as a source of humor. I am not proud.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home