Thursday, July 06, 2006

Hell Yeah (Pimp the Death Star)

EXPERIMENT #135
"HELL YEAH (PIMP THE DEATH STAR)"


FILM

Star Wars (1995 "Faces" VHS).

ALBUM

Revolutionary But Gangsta by dead prez. A controversial record amongst hardcore dp fans, who pinpoint it as the moment the two socially conscious rappers sold out ('twas released on Sony, complete with a Jay-Z remix and far thuggier lyrics than usual). I give it props, though, solely on the strength of "Radio Freq." Best anti-FM song since "Radio Radio."

SYNCHS

- The line "the police is nervous" in "Walk Like a Warrior" coincides with a shot of the Rebel soldiers nervously awaiting the Imperial invasion of the Tantive IV.

- The phrase "we under attack" in "Walk Like a Warrior" is heard as the stormtroopers lay waste to the Rebels on the Tantive IV.

- C-3PO and R2-D2 are seen peeking out from a enclave during the opening battle as the line "we don't surrender" is heard in "Walk Like a Warrior" (the two droids don't surrender; they escape).

- The line "in the right place at the wrong time" in "Hell Yeah (Pimp the System)" is heard as R2-D2 is seen rolling through the canyon right before the Jawas capture him.

- The Jawas are seen carrying R2-D2 back to their sandcrawler as the lines "it's a daily struggle, we all gotta hustle, this is the way we survive" are heard in "Hell Yeah (Pimp the System)."

NOTES

Revolutionary But Gangsta was the first album I ever listened to on an iPod. For some reason, that seems significant. It probably isn't, though. It's probably just another one of those INsignificant media-related memories I'll carry around with me until I die because I think it holds some sort of significance. My brain is full of those. There are literally thousands of the buggers, clogging my gray matter and preventing me from remembering important things like my social security number and my middle name.

Oh well, what can you do? The first cassette I ever listened to on a Walkman was The Best of the Monkees!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home