Friday, August 18, 2006

Darth Off Your Shoulder

EXPERIMENT #167
"DARTH OFF YOUR SHOULDER"


FILM

Star Wars (1995 "Faces" VHS).

ALBUM

The Black Album, Jay-Z's alleged swan song. Contains the hit "99 Problems." Also contains at least one reference to Castor Troy, the villain from Face/Off. That's gotta be the only time a rapper has namechecked a Nicholas Cage character. I hope it doesn't start a trend. Yo, I'm gettin' all Cameron Poe up in here!

SYNCHS

- Jay-Z begins rapping on "December 4th" as the camera pans down after the opening crawl.

- The droids are seen wandering the Tatooine desert as the line "we got a problem, Houston" is heard in "What More Can I Say."

- The phrase "let's go" in "Change Clothes" coincides with Luke waving for R5-D4 to come with him.

- The phrase "ya boy is back" in "Change Clothes" coincides with R2-D2 joining C-3PO once again to replace the broken R5-D4.

- The beat in "Dirt Off Your Shoulder" becomes muffled right when C-3PO hits R2-D2 on the dome in Luke's room.

- The camera is on Greedo as the phrase "dying young, leaving a good-looking corpse" is heard in "Allure" (Greedo does die young, I think, and his corpse is pretty cool-looking).

NOTES

Jawa who? Jawa what? Dumb joke, but it had to be made. Mad props to James Holland for hooking me up with a copy of this album. Copy on, Copyman.

Next week my friend Ed Doyle is picking out all the albums for the GSWSP. He's into a lot of art rock. Early Genesis, Split Endz, Flaming Lips, that kind of stuff. When he sends me his list of selections, I'll post it. I'm sure I'll be screaming for mercy by Tuesday, but hey, sometimes you gotta suffer for your Star Wars blog, ya know?

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go contemplate bidding on this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home