Friday, September 29, 2006

The Night Vader Went Crazy

EXPERIMENT #196
"THE NIGHT VADER WENT CRAZY"


FILM

Star Wars (1995 "Faces" VHS).

ALBUM

Bad Hair Day by "Weird Al" Yankovic. Contains "Amish Paradise," in which Yank refers to Amish children as "Amettes." I don't know if this is a real term; if Al invented it, than what further proof do we need that he is (as Kurt Cobain famously tagged him) a rock genius?

SYNCHS

- The phrase "won't you come?" in "The Alternative Polka" coincides with a shot of R2-D2 rolling toward Luke and C-3PO after the robot auction.

- Luke complains about being stuck on Tatooine as the line "I think I'm cracking up" is heard in "The Alternative Polka."

- The chorus of "I'm So Sick of You" ("I'm so sick of you") is heard as Luke walks out on his Uncle Owen after their argument.

- Luke is looking at his dead relatives as the line "the body count's rising, and everyone's wondering why, Santa, why?" is heard in "The Night Santa Went Crazy."

NOTES

Vally inteleschting...baht schtoopit!

My friend Chris Shields loves to point out how "Weird Al" isn't really all that weird. Oh, how he loves to needle me with that one.

"Come on, Jim. What's so weird about the accordian? What's so weird about slip on shoes? Nothing! 'Hardware Store,' Jim? Come on! That's not weird!"

Keep in mind this is coming from a guy who toured the east coast simulating an entire rock band with his mouth under the name "Mr. Transylvania." Now that is weird, much weirder than "Fat" or "Eat It" or pretty much anything "Weird Al" has ever done. I'm sure even "Weird Al" himself would admit to that.

However, compared to the average Joe iPod on the street (who most certainly does not simulate entire rock bands with his mouth under nonsensical names), "Weird Al" is, in fact, quite weird. He's weirder than my dad, he's weirder than Joe Namath, and he's weirder than your mailman.

Furthermore, "Weird Al" is just a nickname. Sure, he may not be weird by everyone's standards, but the doubters would also be forced to admit that Andre the Giant was not actually a giant but in reality just a really tall fat guy. In the same vein, the aforementioned Joe Namath has never spent any time onstage in a Broadway production, despite carrying the nickname "Broadway Joe."

I guess the point of this rant is shut up, Chris.

I'm sorry, man, I don't mean to dog you here. I just gotta stick up for my man Al. You'd know how I feel if we were talking about your homeboy Paul Naschy.

I'm taking next week off from the GSWSP because my friend John Piacquadio is comin' into town and he's gonna help me party down. That means no new experiments until October 9th. Sorry, synch nuts. I might post one or two things next week just for the heck of it (stories or news or such). We'll see. I might be too busy drinking liquor out of a coconut shell and wearing oversized novelty sunglasses.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home