Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Out of Step (with the Rebellion)

EXPERIMENT #189
"OUT OF STEP (WITH THE REBELLION)"


FILM

Star Wars (1995 "Faces" VHS).

ALBUM

Minor Threat's Complete Discography. The only band whose music and lyrics I completely identified with at all times. Unlike, say, Cannibal Corpse. I don't know what it's like to be mummified in barbed wire, but I sure as hell can tell you all about my childhood friends who turned into nightmarish drunks and assholes.

SYNCHS

- The stormtroopers open fire upon the Rebel soldiers with their red lasers as the lines "red, I'm seeing red" are repeatedly heard in "Seeing Red."

- The line "you're always on the move" in "Small Man, Big Mouth" coincides with Vader and his stormtroopers marching through the Tantive IV.

- The lines "don't go alone, go with a friend, you might need him in the end" in "Stand Up" are heard as R2-D2 watches C-3PO walk away from him into the Tatooine desert.

- Princess Leia's hologram in onscreen as the line "girls were girls" is heard in "It Follows."

- R2-D2 is seen hiding in a little alcove as the line "run and hide" is heard in "Look Back and Laugh."

- Princess Leia's hologram is onscreen as the phrase "my little friend" is heard in "Little Friend."

- The "there's no place like home" outro of "Cashing In" coincides with Luke returning to the Lars homestead and discovering that his relatives are dead; it begins as he pulls up in his landspeeder and ends as the film wipes to the Death Star.

- "Good Guys Don't Wear White" starts as the stormtroopers stop Luke and Obi-Wan as they arrive in Mos Eisley.

NOTES

Here's a fact that probably isn't unique to my life: the first band I was ever in covered a Minor Threat song. Which one? "Straight Edge," although our playing was so choppy we should have called it "Rough Edge!" Yuk, yuk.

Man, that was ten years ago! Time flies when you're living in Florida. Seems like just yesterday I was peeling the skin off my fingers trying to learn that song (or any song, for that matter). Now look at me. I'm almost really sorta okay on the guitar! See kids, miracles do happen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home