Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Come As You Are (to Hoth)

EXPERIMENT #98
"COME AS YOU ARE (TO HOTH)"


FILM

The Empire Strikes Back (1995 "Faces" VHS).

ALBUM

Nevermind by Nirvana, which I've already tried with Star Wars (link). One of the core memories I have tied to this album is that of Regis and Kathy Lee talking about it on their morning show. Kathy Lee looked at the cover and said something like, "You kin shee hish penish! That bebby's showin' hish penish!" No, the accent is not added for comic effect. She really said it in that clenched tooth old lady I'm-talking-about-naughty-bits voice, the kind of voice that makes men lose their faith in humanity and house pets pee on the rug. It's an awful memory, one that I am quickly trying to replace with thoughts of Rob Zombie and extreme nachos.

SYNCHS

- The first quiet part of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" begins the exact same moment the Star Wars logo first appears.

- The phrase "yeah, it makes me smile" in "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is heard as Luke smiles at Han's joke about the lack of any civilization on Hoth.

- The phrase "as I want you to be" in "Come As You Are" is heard as Luke kills the Wampa (obviously, the way Luke wants the Wampa to be is dead).

- The first repetition of "I don't have a gun" in "Come As You Are" coincides with Luke stumbling through the frozen tundra of Hoth with only his lightsaber to protect him (look at his belt; he doesn't have a gun with him).

- The first line of "Lithium," "I'm so happy, 'cause today I found my friends," is heard right after the Rebel pilot locates Han and Luke on Hoth.

- The line "I'm not sad" in "Lithium" coincides with a shot of Princess Leia, who is letting Han know he's delusional if he thinks she is going to miss him.

- The line "I like it, I'm not gonna cry" in "Lithium" is heard as Luke gloats happily after Leia kisses him.

- The line "I'm not scared" is heard in "Lithium" as Chewbacca sticks his head up over the snow embankment and yells at the Imperial probot.

- The last heavy part of "Lithium" kicks in as the probot explodes.

- The phrase "I'm on a plain" is heard in "On a Plain" as we see a shot of R2-D2 sitting in Luke's X-Wing (plain/plane - get it?); the same phrase is heard later as we see Han, Leia, Chewie, and Threepio aboard the Millennium Falcon.

NOTES

This one was pretty boss. I wouldn't say it was the most, but it was pretty boss. Yes, I'm talking like a kid in the 1950s and I'm loving every minute of it.

So, what's the deal? Did Dave Grohl name that side project Probot after the probot in Empire Strikes Back? Someone's gotta fill me in already. Hey, wait a minute, I bet Wikipedia knows. Wikipedia knows everything! I'll be right back.

[checks Wikipedia]

Well, that was a waste of time. All it said in regard to the name was "probe + robot = probot." Duh, Wikipedia! I could have told you that! I guess I'll have to conduct a more intensive search later to discover why Dave Grohl chose the name Probot for his all-star metal album (and by "later," I mean "never," because I don't really "care").

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home